Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 99 - 103 - A Gumby Arrives

Jordan (who I live with at Gumby Haus in Ann Arbor) arrived this week. We're headed to Berlin today. Here's the past week.

Day 99 - Bleh

I tried to get some of my Urban Inequalities paper done ahead of Jordan arriving, but I made very little progress. I did laundry and cleaned my room. Oh yeah, and Seal Team 6 killed Osama Bin Laden. That was surreal. The frat-boy, party in the streets scenes we saw from college campuses across the U.S. made me uncomfortable.

Day 100 - Jordan

I picked Jordan up from the train station, after an hour of miscommunication and not being able to find each other. He was super jet lagged and took a nice long nap, and I got a lot of my paper out of the way, which was nice. Once he woke up we rode into town and went to Oude Leyden for pannekoek, which I've fully come around on. They're simply delicious. I showed Jordan a couple of the coffeeshops in town and he enjoyed sitting in the Pieterskerk and soaking in the pleasant, old world ambiance.

After dinner we went to Vi-Kings to watch Barcelona-Real Madrid, which was fun enough. It was kind of a shit game, but the place was crowded and lively. We caught up and talked a lot of life back home and otherwise, and it was a good time. Afterward we headed home, as I was exhausted, and we watched Four Lions, a really funny British movie that I realized I'd seen a few minutes in but enjoyed nonetheless.

Day 101 - Market and Library

We went in to the market and got kibbeling, which I just adore. We did a little shopping for some things Jordan needs (he's going to be in Europe for all of May) and then headed to the University library for the first time all year. The library is kind of cool from the outside, quite modern, but inside it's a bit of a maze. It took a while to find where people with laptops do their work, but after we found it and got settled I was able to finish my paper, which was nice. We wandered around a little more afterward, Jordan almost got hit by a van, and then we headed to Eazie for dinner.

After hanging out at home for a while we headed back into town to go to Einstein's, where I hadn't been in like two months. I saw people for the first time in a long time, and it was nice being in a lively atmosphere again. Jordan had no problems finding people to talk to, which was good. We headed home at closing time, which was a first.

Day 102 - Sleeping In

We were exhausted from the night before and slept in until like 4:30, which, yeah, absurd. Jordan decided to take a bike ride to the sea, and he apparently had quite a good time with that. I stayed in bed and watched the Tigers take 3 of 4 from the Yankees, which is encouraging, and then we met up at the train station for a late dinner consisting of Julia's Pasta, Burger King, Smullers, and Albert Heijn. After my internet stopped working we gave up on watching The Human Centipede. What a shame.

Day 103 - To Berlin!

I've sent some important emails and got my blogging done, which is good. We need to be at the train station in four hours, so I'll probably catch up on last night's comedy TV, shower, eat, and pack. Jordan's still asleep.

It's great seeing people from home, but it also makes me super homesick. Hopefully I can combat it with travel!

I'm really excited to go to Berlin and can't wait to share it with you later. See you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment