Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 89 - 92 - Summer Vibes

The weather here in Northern Europe has been tremendous for going on two weeks now, and this weekend might have been the best weather yet. 70s, sunny, and breezy, this was a weekend of supreme relaxation.

Day 89 - To The Sea

The route to the sea from Leiden is considerably shorter than the same ride from Bruges. Instead of doing an overdue assignment I woke up and biked to the North Sea at Katwijk with Adam and Steve. It's 20-30 minutes depending on how fast you bike, and it's just so nice to have a huge sandy beach in such close striking distance that everyday could potentially be spent partially at the beach. I played in the sand and ate ice cream and it was the best. Sometimes I think about the "purpose" of studying abroad and I feel pressure to come back with some kind of shiny wisdom acquired to show off that all this was worth it. And then sometimes I think, I might not be gleaning the meaning of life from my experiences, but I sure am having a splendid time relaxing without lots of pressing responsibilities for the first time in as long as I can remember. There's nothing wrong with having a relaxing period in my life, I think, and I hope that doesn't sound as vain and selfish as I think it sounds because that isn't the intent. I'm so fortunate for the opportunity.

After the beach I pounded out that overdue assignment and then geared up to go to the karaoke birthday party of a friend from the Swamp. As little as I enjoy karaoke in theory I always end up having a decent time when it actually happens, and singing a pitch perfect rendition of 'Creep' with the other Andy was fun, amongst other songs. Vi-Kings had Straffe Hendrik Tripel in bottles, which was exciting, and I also got to watch some NHL playoffs on ESPN America. I also met my first other person in the Netherlands from Michigan (a mid-20s woman who went to State) and a Dutchman who followed American sports and name dropped Denard when he found out I went to Michigan. So that was revelatory. Also, we were out until like 4:30... however that happened.

Day 90 - A Most Wonderful Day

The most perfect weather ever. I went into Leiden to get some things from the market and it was as alive as I've seen it. People everywhere, boats all up and down the canals, it was just a special place to be, and it's scene's like that that I'll miss most when I go back home. I got some delicious kibbeling, wandered around for a bit, and then decided to hop into H&M where I got two exciting new shirts for summer. In a glorious mood, I picked up some groceries, went back home, and sat around in the breezy summer day. Andy and I threw a frisbee around for a while, and I just relaxed the rest of the day. It was tremendous.

Day 91 - Picnic

I woke up late, watched a bunch of 30 Rock, and then joined a big Swamp BBQ in progress outside and spent most of the rest of the day there. I played soccer with a bunch of Italians, where I was clearly the least talented, and ate some delicious food - including a rice and crab salad that was just perfect. Tasted like sushi. I ate pounds of it. Once again, another day just spent lying around and enjoying the weather (as it rained back in Ann Arbor).

Day 92 - When The Least Relaxing Thing I Did Was Go For A Bike Ride

I really couldn't think of a good title. I haven't done anything today, but at least I got dressed and rode my bike around in the continuing glorious weather. I've spent most of the day enjoying the breezy weather and watching 30 Rock. What a tremendous show.

Tomorrow I'm going to start being more productive for a bit before Cory and Jordan come in succession and then I jet-set off to Berlin for a long weekend in early May.

I've been here for more than three months. Two months to go. It's all pretty wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment