Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 154 - 158 - The End

So, here's where it ends. Early tomorrow morning I'll make my way to Schiphol, and eight hours later I'll be touching down at DTW. I'm going to hold off on any kind of meta discussion of the whole experience until after I get home and maybe take a few days, or even a couple weeks, to sort out all of my feelings. Whatever that post turns out to be, the time I've spent here in Europe have been quite literally a dream come true, and I'm so incredibly fortunate to have had this opportunity to live and study in Holland and travel the continent. Europe is an awesome place, but I'm not going to get too upset about going home to my family and friends.

These last few days are going to be so boring and short.

Day 154 - Sunday

I'm really great at making lists. It's far less often that I'm able to cross everything off of them. I compiled a list of things to do. That's literally what I did. I don't remember doing anything else. I warned you these would be terrible updates. I started watching Sports Night, which somehow I never heard of before, but it's great.

Day 155 - Monday

I got my exam contract signed and turned in, because somehow a world-class institution still uses completely paper records for its large international student program. Oh, Leiden. I also de-registered from the Oegstgeest town hall, which is another thing that shouldn't matter but they make you do anyway. I grabbed a tremendous tuna BLT from that bakery on the corner of that one street and ate it along the canal, which was nice. I killed some time in Lipsius waiting for 1 pm when things open on a Monday, and then went about searching for a few gifts for the family. After my search I set about using some of the Eurocents I still have laying around, and then made my way back to the Swamp. I'm sure the rest of the day consisted of fruitlessly trying to write Law School essays and watching Sports Night.

Day 156 - Tuesday

It was hot. The problem is, though, that if you open your window, even the slightest of cracks, you're going to be devoured by bugs while you sleep. I had my window closed, and I still woke up looking completely ridiculous with bug bites all over my neck, face, arms, hands, and feet. My mom always says mosquitos love me because I'M SO SWEET, so we'll go with that.

Turns out I was lying before, and Tuesday is when I discovered Sports Night. I have no idea what I was doing any of those other nights, I guess. Watching movies, probably. Life is kind of mundane when you've run out of money to spend!

I also finally watched Pulp Fiction, after thousands of years of meaning to. I enjoyed it. Needed more Uma Thurman if you ask me. It's weird to think that John Travolta used to be in good movies.

Day 157 - Wednesday

An interesting mixture of a day. I paid my final exorbitant rent, and got my last serving of delicious kibbeling at the market. I just rode my bike around Leiden for a few hours soaking in the atmosphere of the place. If you don't end up living in the Swamp, and have a nice apartment down in the city center, I have a hard time believing there are many places more pleasant to live and study than Leiden. Wonderful Dutch town.

Wednesday was also catch up on BBC/ABC (Australian) day. I watched Episode 3 of Luther, which is just a spine-tingling, thrilling police drama starring Idris Elba, who is mesmerizing. I also finished The Shadow Line, which I thought dragged in some of the middle episodes, but had as strong and shocking a finale as there is. I also stayed up to date with Angry Boys, Chris Lilley's new show, which is pretty hilarious. Watching all this TV really isn't as bad as it sounds, you guys.

I also finished and submitted my application to Michigan Law, and I'll hear back in the next three weeks, which is exciting. I think I wrote a really strong personal statement, my other essay was solid, and the rest of the application should be equally solid, so keep your fingers crossed. I've never really expected to get in, but I really do think I put together a strong application, so we shall see. Apparently around 50 people apply each year through the Wolverine Scholar program that I'm applying through, and between 10 and 15 students are admitted each year, so the odds aren't great, but they aren't horrible either. I'll find out soon enough! Grad school applications... things are getting real!

Day 158 - Thursday

Naturally, I left basically all of my packing and cleaning for today. I did a bit of packing after I woke up, and then I met up with Chase for lunch and a final goodbye. The doner never tasted so bittersweet! It was nice to see a buddy again, and we had some good stories to share. As we were departing we saw a Fanta giveaway setting up, and naturally, when we see free stuff in Europe we cannot possibly turn it down. They weren't quite ready to begin passing out free cans, but everyone in front of the train station was circling the promoters like vultures until we all eventually converged on them and slurped down the tastiest free Fanta you'll ever have. I got back and sold my bike to Andy, and I consider the selling of one's bike to be the official point at which you have broken your ties with Holland. The end.

I've spent the rest of the day packing and cleaning. My room is immaculate and most of the common areas are pretty clean too. I'm all packed and both my bags are under the weight allowance. It's annoying that I can't pay for an extra checked bag online and have to pay the ridiculous fees at the airport, but that's life.

I took one last nostalgic walk around the Swamp just now. It would be kind of beautiful if it wasn't so ugly. In any case, I'm sure I'll miss this place deep down.

Building 14.
Sunset at the Swamp.
Pretty irredeemably ugly.
I was taking a picture of the table, didn't notice the shadows.
Goodbye, 14B.

There will be some content after I get back, but I really don't know when. I'll let you know.

Thanks to everyone who read my blog. It was a really rewarding experience, and I'm pretty proud that I can say I have a blog entry for all 158 days I spent abroad. I wouldn't have done it without constant encouragement from people who'd read it, so a heartfelt thank you to everyone who sat through all the boring, mundane updates I foisted upon you. I appreciate your indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment