Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 3 - Sleep and Going Out


I went to bed at around 1:30 am last night. I woke up around 5:30 pm. A solid 15 hours of sleep, without interruption. This was unprecedented sleep length, and messed up my plans to explore Oegstgeest today, but that can wait. I spent my first few hours awake doing nothing, and then it was time for a little apartment meeting to discuss some expectations and everything, but that was very normal. It was good to finally meet Martin, and spend some time with him and Kamille (I'll figure out the spelling eventually). Martin is 24, Bulgarian, and studying computer science. It made me think of missing Jordan. He was friendly and nice, which was good, but I also got the impression he doesn't go out a whole lot. The impression I get from both roommates is that they spend most nights in, which is fine and totally normal for me too, but it probably means a few more nights alone in my room than I anticipated.

I had sent an email before bed to the Housing office, asking if it would be possible to switch housing out of the Rijnfront. They gave no indication of the probability of this, but did give me form to turn in to be added to a housing waiting list. I don't know how to print things yet, but as soon as I figure that out I'll turn that form in and see what happens. The biking at the very least will be useful for the legs. I'm still quite sore right now.

After the apartment meeting, emboldened by an email from one of my mentors, I decided to make the trip to Einstein's, a pub on one of the canals that has an International Student Night every Wednesday. I arrived, quite nervous, and waited around inside like a dumb friendless American for a few minutes until I spotted Dani. She's German, and this is her second semester in Leiden, and she's one of my two mentors. Dani was really nice and friendly and made sure to introduce me to a lot of people, including my other mentor, Karen. Karen is Dani's flatmate, she's Irish, and similarly quite friendly. It was just really great to be in a crowded social situation and have some people I knew. I can tell that knowing Dani and Karen will be a big asset, and it's nice to know a couple people headed into the Introduction Days programming tomorrow and Friday. Also of note: my first legal beer. Heineken tastes better in Holland. The pub itself was OK - pretty crowded, but apparently this was a special night. They played your average American party mix, with the strange exception of Sex on Fire, which drew a signalong and an eye-roll from your intrepid world traveler. The big observation was that Dutch people are super tall... I feel very average height with them around. I suppose it helps with the long track speed skating! After a while there I decided it was time to peddle the 20 minutes home - it will certainly prove annoying, and it's the main reason I want to move out of the Rijnfront, but the bike ride might be good for burning off those calories!

All in all a good day. It's very nice to know that Dani and Karen will have my back, and it gave me a lot of hope about how good the International Student Network will be for making friends and having fun. Tomorrow: Introduction Days. I trust it will be quite helpful. Until then!

EDIT: This felt dumb without pictures. Here are a few from yesterday.

Classic Nederlands.


Town halls are a bit more elaborate here.


Street on which I bought my bike.

3 comments: